3.08.2006

The RAMEKIN


Recently, I enjoyed ordering a few things from Crate & Barrel (as I always do!)…but I had a gift certificate and that made it all the more fun. So, since I didn’t have to pay for them, I got some new kitchen gadgets (as if I needed any) and I’m very pleased with my selections. One of the items I purchased is a ramekin – actually, I purchased 12 of them because they were on sale. The ones in the picture are for reference only - the ones I purchased were of all different colors.

A RAMEKIN is defined as “an individual baking dish” according to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary. (One of my favorite sites since I’m definitely not the English guru). It is used most often for soufflé type desserts, but can also be used for individual servings of lasagna and such. The best part about them, I think, is you can bake in them and don’t have to serve each guest from a big dish (which often results in a mess)– the guests can have their own little dish which makes the occasion even more “special.”

Last night, I was discussing the above mentioned ramekins I purchased with a friend who didn’t understand the purpose at all. To start, said friend asked if it was a ram-a-can, and I quote, “Like when you ram-a-can on your head after you finish the beer?” I was astounded and could not believe the analogy or the pronunciation of the word…much less, the degrading of my new purchase from a fancy soufflé baker to something in which you would store jello. How dare he (yes, it was a man) suggest that my fancy ladies’ dinners be degraded to something less than lady-like.

Anyway, after the shock wore off, I realized that said friend just needs a little lesson in etiquette and I will be sure he receives it promptly. Until then, does anyone have a good soufflé recipe?

11 comments:

Megan said...

i will have to tell todd that you purchased some ramekins. he likes to say that word :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with this guy. In fact, I tout him. Ramekins remind me of coffee cups with no handles. I think Ramekins is Dutch for handleless coffee cup.

Anonymous said...

Brute souffle:

1 part original Pringles
1 part Butterfinger
1 part marshmallow cream.

Mash and mix and bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Don't forget to preheat the oven.

Serve with root beer or milk, but not sweet tea.

Shandra said...

tell broughton to quit being a dork!! :)

those seem really neat!!

Unknown said...

Was your "said friend" Beef by any chance? It sure sounds like him!

Unknown said...

They are also GREAT for individual salsa servings, pudding, or anything else small- I use mine all the time!

knelson said...

OK - please spell the word phoentically (?). For my upbringing leaves me lacking in this fine piece of glassware. I keep hearing "ram-a-can" in my head because your story was so good.
Anyway - your mom's recipe sounds GREAT!!

ashley said...

the word is pronounced more like "ram uh kin". i hope that helps get the other out of your head mrs kathy!!

...and "dad" - i haven't known you to use the word brute before!

...anonymous - don't give yourself away with the word tout.

...and AMY - "said friend" was not Broughton. i've been sworn to secrecy of the friend's identity.

Anonymous said...

I think any guy that even knows or cares to learn what a ramekin is should be left alone regardless of the way he chooses to recall the pronunciation of the word. Ashley, I would also like to try your dad's "Brute souffle". He knows you well enough to mention that the oven should be preheated.

Daniel Martin said...

ashley! what's up?

Todd Richards said...

Yes, ramekin is a fun word to say... and though I have never used them in the kitchen, I have considered purchasing some. Yes, I know that effectively voids my man card...